Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Spinster


Three years ago I broke off my engagement to a guy who was thirteen years older than me. He had the personality of a teenager and the looks of a twenty year old. Which I found funny and charming when I was twenty, annoying and irresponsible when I was closer to thirty.

We were together off and on for eight years, engaged twice, wedding dress bought, venue booked. But, six months before the wedding I pulled the plug on the fairytale. It was just that, a fantasy.

I was going through the motions and pretending I cared what color the flowers were or what the invitations looked like. One could argue that he wasn’t right, which I came to realize was true many years later. But, I think I’m just not the marrying type. I like long-term relationships, but I also like knowing that I’m not legally attached to the person when the romance dies. Which in my case it always does.

After a year apart we got back together (Yeap! I’m a glutton for punishment), got engaged again, but never got around to picking a wedding date.  It took me four more years to finally realize we were not right together. We tried to stay friends, but the past couldn’t be forgotten and was overshadowed by the bitter ending.

Maybe one day I will meet the elusive Mr. Right, until then I’m going to live my life and enjoy being single.

No comments:

Post a Comment